Hopefully this page will provide you with some background information about what the Staffordshire Ladies County Golf Association does.
The SLCGA is linked to the National Organisation which is England Golf. The Ladies Golf Union no longer has any responsibility with regard to governing the amateur game.
Counties have a responsibility for certain functions which are laid down by England Golf. These include:
- Maintaining and regulating the Standard Scratch Score System for every course in the County, without which it would not be possible to gain or retain a CONGU handicap.
- The appointment of the County Handicap advisor who channels through handicapping information from CONGU, via the County to the Clubs and assists Club Handicap Secretaries with queries.
- The promotion of ladies and girls' golf at all levels in the County, including organisation of competitions, inter-club scratch and knock-out matches, which cater for all handicaps.
- Communication with England Golf via the County Secretary and Representative on the Midlands North Regional Committee.
- Maintaining regular contact with Clubs via the SLCGA delegates.
- Arranging and managing an AGM at which all members are welcome.
- Helping with the organisation and administration of any LGU, England Golf event hosted by a Staffordshire Club.
- Organising training for Juniors at all levels from those who have never swung a club to the low single figure handicap girls. The County also has to identify from amongst its Juniors those girls who would benefit from EWGA Trust training grants or need financial help from the EWGA Trust with essential equipment.
- The selection and maintenance of 1st, 2nd and Junior County Teams
- Organising training for prospective 1st and 2nd Team members
- Organising the County Championships and Girls County Championships
As you can see the Association is an essential part of the administrative machinery of ladies' amateur golf, all of the County Officials and ladies who help are volunteers, so if you think you could help in any way please contact us!